What is Planned for St Helier?
Under the project title of Better Services, Better Value, an unaccountable NHS panel has recommended closure for our local A&E, children’s and maternity services at St Helier, forcing residents to go to Kingston, Tooting or Croydon with journey times taking up to one hour at peak times. Further cuts are being considered. The faceless 60-strong panel had no local elected MPs and just one councillor (who was there in his role as a GP) on it, and no list of members of the public who sat on it is available.
The £219 million redevelopment is still planned for completion by late 2017 but concern remains about what services will remain on site. As a result of A&E moving elsewhere, the panel has recommended that St Helier gets an improved planned care service.read more
Why Should We Care?
Scrapping A&E, maternity and other services will have a significant effect on residents in Sutton. Response times will be affected as Kingston, St Georges and Croydon A&E take in people from Sutton. Demand for A&E at St Helier has increased significantly in recent years. Travel times will be greatly increased as people fight the traffic around South London to travel further to get to a hospital. You can see a map showing the hospitals affected here.
Fastest travelling times (not taking into account traffic)
- St Helier Hospital 6 minutes (2.6 miles)
- Epsom Hospital 10 minutes (4.3 miles)
- St George’s Hospital 13 minutes (5.9 miles)
- Kingston Hospital 14 minutes (5.7 miles)
- Croydon University Hospital 16 minutes (6.7 miles)
- East Surrey Hospital 26 minutes (12.8 miles)
- St Helier Hospital 7 minutes (2.1 miles)
- Epsom Hospital 13 minutes (5.2 miles)
- St George’s Hospital 15 minutes (5.4 miles)
- Croydon University Hospital 15 minutes (6.3 miles)
- Kingston Hospital 19 minutes (7.2 miles)
- East Surrey Hospital 28 minutes (13.4 miles)
- St Helier Hospital 6 minutes (2.4 miles)
- Croydon University Hospital 12 minutes (4.4 miles)
- St George’s Hospital 14 minutes (5.1 miles)
- Epsom Hospital 17 minutes (7.3 miles)
- Kingston Hospital 21 minutes (9.3 miles)
- East Surrey Hospital 27 minutes (11.4 miles)
What Can We Do?
The final decision has not been taken so we must do everything that we can to ensure that residents’ views are heard. We believe that it is vital that we all come together as a community. Complete the short survey via the link at the top of this page and share your stories about when St Helier was there for you. You can be there for St Helier by coming to the various public meetings arranged by the Council and the NHS. We will endeavour to let you know when they are being held. Please also show your support by signing a petition. Rather than starting up yet another petition, Local Conservatives are urging residents to support the excellent Sutton Guardian campaign. The link for this is at the end of our short survey.read more